Sunday, November 10, 2019

New project: music video



Today a new assignment was assigned: a music video. I'm excited to create a music video, especially since I've been able to learn about all the work and thought processes that go into creating such a thing. For our music video we are to create a 1:05 - 1:15 length video. I will be working alone on this. Currently, I'm not completely positive on what song I plan on using. I'm stuck on deciding between “Lights are on” by Tom Rosenthal or “Are you bored yet?” by Wallows. I am, however, sure on the genre I plan to stick with: indie. Both songs are from the indie genre. Wallow is a boy band, while Tom Rosenthal is a solo artist.

Conventions of the indie genre are simple in a way. The indie genre is based on passion. In indie music videos, artists tend to make their talent and skills the focus point. Some common props I often see are their instruments. When it comes to the lighting, lights are either behind the artist to create a kind of shadowing effect, directly in front of the artist so they, them-self are the main focus or just natural lighting overall. If natural lighting is present, a nature scenery is most likely present as well. I sat down and watched a bunch of indie styles music videos and majority of them had a lovely, calming, type nature scenery. The beach, mountains, and meadows filled with flowers where the most common amongst the videos I saw. Another amazing fact I found out was, indie music videos tend to have lowest budget, which I think is awesome. 

Flashy make up wasn't common either, it was more so natural or absent. The actors in these films were just the artist them-self majority of the time. It's as if they were trying to tell the audience to focus on them only. For costumes, regular everyday clothing was worn. Again, nothing flashy depending on the narrative, which was calm for the most part. Indie music videos are so good with grabbing their audience's attention. They made me feel so cozy and warm with just the artist's voice alone. The scenery just built up the warm feeling even more.

Onto camera shots, angles and editing. From tilts to pans, a variety was used. Lots and lots of close ups are used, but so are long shots. Dissolves and fades were common as well, the transitions were all smooth. Even the cuts were smooth. With cuts and jump cuts in indie films, they tend to be matched to the beat of the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment